George Calombaris’ Cypriot grain salad recipe
You need to make this to-die-for Mediterranean salad, finished with fresh pomegranate.
There’s nothing better than a fresh salad, dressed to perfection, overflowing with flavour and texture. Crunchy pumpkin seeds mix with peppery coriander and toasty slivered almonds to make this salad next-level good. Enjoy…
Ingredients: (serves 8)
- 1 bunch coriander, shredded
- ½ bunch parsley, shredded
- ½ red onion, finely diced
- 1 cup freekeh, (or cracked wheat)
- ½ cup du puy lentils
- 2 tablespoons toasted pumpkin seeds
- 2 tablespoons toasted slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons baby capers
- ½ cup currants
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive
- Sea salt to taste
- 1 cup thick Greek yoghurt
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds toasted and ground
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 pomegranate
- Blanch freekeh and du puy lentils separately in boiling water until both just cooked.
- Drain well and allow to cool.
- Mix the yoghurt, cumin and honey until combined.
- In a medium bowl place the coriander, parsley, red onion, freekeh, du puy lentils, toasted nuts, capers, currants, red wine vinegar and olive oil. Mix well, season to taste.
- Place into serving dish and top with cumin yoghurt and pomegranate seeds.
Recipe from Body and Soul